Snapchat allows you to video chat with a friend or group of people. For group chats, it only allows a maximum of 15 people at once. While conversing via video, you can use its Face Lenses feature to spice up the communication.
But users sometimes experience issues with the app whereby the video call function stops working. Whenever you encounter a problem with Snapchat live video not working, you will be unable to communicate with your friends and loved ones.
Several reasons can explain why Snapchat video call is not working on your Android or iOS device. On the bright side, there are ways of troubleshooting the problem and fixing it.
Why Snapchat video call is not working
Generally, the video call feature is not working on your Snapchat because:
- Your smartphone is not connecting to the Snapchat servers.
- You do not have a stable internet connection.
- Snapchat is experiencing a system-wide outage.
- You are using an outdated version of Snapchat.
These and other reasons can explain why Snapchat is not working on your phone. Luckily, you can fix it using any of the following methods:
1. Update your Snapchat app
You need the latest version of Snapchat to access and enjoy the features introduced in video chat and correct any errors with the service. Here is how you can update the app:
How to update Snapchat on Android
If Snapchat video chat is not working on Android, consider updating it by following the steps below:
- Open the Google Play Store on your Android device.
- Tap on the menu and select My Apps & Games.
- At the Updates tab, locate and select Snapchat.
- Tap on Update if available.
After updating the application, try again by opening the video chat.
How to update Snapchat on iOS
You can update the application on your device via the App Store. Here is how:
- Open the App Store on your iOS device.
- Under the Updates tab, select Snapchat.
- Tap on Update.
Once you have a new version, open video chat and try again.
2. Restart your device
Whenever your phone is running, you tend to open and close some applications and keep others running too. Also, many other processes work behind the scenes that could affect how your Snapchat app and its features work. While it may seem cliché, a simple restart to your phone can fix the video chat feature of Snapchat.
It will help to clear up all processes that are hogging your system resources and affecting the app. As a result, it will speed up your phone, establish a new connection, and provide more memory to resource-intensive apps, like Snapchat. You can restart your phone by pressing and holding power or sleep/wake button.
3. Check your Internet Connection
In some cases, the Snapchat video unable to connect problem occurs as a result of an unstable internet connection. You need consistent data to complete a video call on Snapchat. Here is how you can troubleshoot the issue.
- Restart your phone to refresh mobile data.
- Disconnect your app from a VPN or Proxy service.
- Remove the SIM card and reinsert it.
- Connect your phone to a Wi-Fi network or disconnect it from a Wi-Fi and use mobile data.
- Disconnect it from a portable hotspot and try either mobile data or Wi-Fi.
Other steps you can do to troubleshoot the problem include:
Reset your device’s network settings
For Android devices:
- Go to Settings
- Select System or Backup and Reset (depending on your device)
- Tap on Advanced
- Select Reset Options or Network Settings Reset
- Tap on Reset Settings or Reset Wi-Fi, Mobile, and Bluetooth
For iOS devices:
- Go to Settings
- Tap on General
- Select Reset
- Tap on Reset Network Settings
- Enter a password if prompted
You can also activate Airplane Mode and deactivate it. The option will rest all radio networks and other wireless connections on your phone and allow you to establish anew.
Disable Low Data Mode on iPhone Data Saver on Android.
For Android, go to Settings – Network and Internet – Data Saver.
For iOS, go to Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options.
Once you disable the two options, open Snapchat video and try again.
4. Clear App Data and Cache
Clearing app data and cache will allow you to get rid of corrupted files that are causing the video feature to stop working.
- Go to Settings > Apps > Select Snapchat > Storage > tap on both Clear Data and Clear Cache
- Go to Settings > Select General > iPhone Storage > Tap on Snapchat > Under Documents & Data, select Delete App.
Once you delete, reinstall the app and try again.
5. Check whether Snapchat is Down
Snapchat may be experiencing a system-wide issue that is affecting most of its features. You can check this factor on its social media pages. If the service is experiencing a problem, you will have to wait until it gets fixed.
Whenever you encounter a Snapchat calling unavailable problem, first determine whether the service is experiencing an issue with their server. You will have to wait until Snapchat fixes its servers. If video chat is not working, check your internet connection, restart the application, try to clear app data and cache, and consider updating the app.