When you send a request on Facebook through Messenger, you expect to get a quick response. If that request fails, you will receive an error with a corresponding code and a message describing the issue. You may have encountered the error message – this person isn’t available at the moment – when using Messenger. What does it mean, and how do you fix it?
Technically, users on Facebook can block messages when using Messenger. If a user blocked your messages, it is impossible to connect with them via private message. In practice, however, you might come across several error messages. That can explain why you are getting the error message that says this person is not available right now.
But there may be more reasons you are getting the error.
Why you are getting the error message “this person isn’t available right now” on Facebook
You may also be getting the error message because:
- The user has opted not to receive messages from you.
- The user has deactivated their Facebook account.
- Facebook restricted or disabled the account.
- The user is offline but appears online from your end.
- Facebook servers are experiencing a technical glitch.
In other cases, you could be getting the error because the person is unavailable on Messenger but active on a mobile or desktop browser. Also, your internet connection can cause the issue.
How to fix Facebook error this person is not available right now
Facebook does not offer any more details why of the error. But for many users who have come across the problem, the following is how they tried to fix it:
1. Check your internet connection
It may sound cliché, but your internet connection can cause many errors when using Facebook Messenger. If you lose your internet connection while trying to send a message via Messenger, the message will not go through. Instead, you will get the error message.
Many users have also encountered the error when using a VPN. If you lose your internet connection while on a VPN, the private network will show you still have a connection. But since you cannot communicate with the server, it may return the error.
2. Send the user a message
If Messenger says this person isn’t receiving messages right now, consider sending the person a direct message via Facebook instead of Messenger. Here s what you can do:
- Use the Facebook browser on your mobile phone or desktop.
- Log in to your Facebook account.
- Click on Messages.
- Enter the name of the user.
You can now have a new conversation with the user.
3. Check whether you have blocked the user
If you have blocked a person on Facebook or Messenger, you will not communicate with them. That also means the user will not receive your messages or view your profile and posts. You will have to unblock the user to send them a message on Messenger.
- Log in to your Facebook account.
- Select the Menu.
- Go to Settings.
- Select Account Settings.
- Select Blocking.
- You will get a list of all people you have blocked on Facebook.
Search through the list and select the user you want to send the message. Click on the Unblock button and continue communicating with them.
4. Determine whether the user has blocked you
You will know that the person has blocked you on Facebook if you determine the following:
- You are unable to view their profile, unlike before.
- The user’s account is invisible to you but not to others.
- You cannot send the person a friend request.
- You can view their previous chat but cannot send a new message.
If the person has blocked you on Messenger, things will be different. In this case:
- You cannot send or receive a message.
- You and the user are friends on Facebook.
- You can see the person’s posts on Facebook.
- You can comment, like, or share the person’s posts.
The best solution is to communicate via Facebook. Otherwise, you will have to request the user to unblock you on Messenger.
5. Contact Facebook
Contact Facebook support if the person is unavailable on Messenger but not blocked and you are getting the error message. Here is what to do:
- Log in to your Facebook account via a desktop browser.
- Click the downward-facing arrow.
- Select Help & Support.
- Select Help Center, Support Inbox, or Report a problem.
Choose an option to contact Facebook and explain your issue.
If you get an error message on Facebook saying this user isn’t available right now, it means you cannot communicate with the person. The user may have blocked you, deactivated their account. You may also have blocked the person.
In other cases, Facebook may have restricted or disabled the person’s account, meaning you cannot reach them. Fix the issue by communicating with them using a mobile or desktop browser instead of Messenger.