Scanning the QR code on your Wyze camera is part of the setup process, which allows you to link your camera to the Wyze app. It is a seamless process, which should take about 5 seconds. Therefore, it can be frustrating when your camera refuses to scan the QR code.
There are several reasons your Wyze cam v3 won’t scan the QR code. They include an expired QR code, camera view obstruction, or the code not being visible. You might also be holding the QR code too close or too far away from the camera.
Below, I have compiled all the information on properly scanning the QR code. I have also included troubleshooting tips and fixes you can use to solve the issue when your camera refuses to scan the code.
How to scan a QR code on Wyze cam?
Below is a step-by-step guide on how to scan a QR code on your Wyze cam:
- Unbox the camera and power it using the provided USB cable and power adapter.
- Go to your smartphone and download the Wyze app for either Android or iOS.
- Launch the app and log in with your account details. Alternatively, register a new account if you don’t have one.
- Go to the Wyze cam dashboard and tap on the + New Device tab
- In the Add Device window that pops, select the type of Wyze device you want to add (Wyze Cam, Wyze Cam Pan, etc.). You will then be taken to a Wyze Cam Setup window.
- Go back to your camera and press the setup button on the camera’s underside as indicated on the phone’s setup window. You will hear a sound prompt giving you the go-ahead to connect.
- Tap Next on the Wyze Cam Setup window, enter your WiFi network details, and tap Next to proceed. The app will generate a QR code for your camera.
- Place your phone near the camera (within its view) to scan the code, after which you can follow the onscreen instructions on your phone to complete the setup.
Why is Wyze cam not scanning the QR code?
You might have trouble scanning the QR code with your Wyze cam for several reasons. Below is a look at them:
- If the QR code is not fully visible to the camera
- If the QR code is being obstructed, for example, the camera’s protective film, dirt on the camera lens, cracked phone screen, glare due to too much brightness, etc.
- Moving the phone too much when attempting to scan.
- A glitch in the Wyze camera
- Expired QR code
How to fix a QR code that won’t scan on the Wyze camera?
If you are having trouble scanning the QR code on your Wyze camera, the troubleshooting tips and solutions below can help you fix the issue:
1. Check that the QR code is not expired
For security reasons, Wyze cam QR codes have a limited lifespan, five minutes after they have been generated. If you try to scan the code after that, it will not work.
Therefore, if you are having a problem scanning the code, you should first go to your Wyze cam app and generate a new code. Then, make sure to scan this code immediately before it expires.
2. Make sure the camera lens is not dirty or being obstructed
Obstructed camera lens view is another reason you might have trouble scanning the QR code. The obstruction can be from dirt on the lens or something else like the camera’s protective film.
Therefore, before attempting to scan the code, make sure you remove the protective film covering the camera lens. If you suspect the lens is dirty, clean it using a microfiber towel or a soft cloth that will not scratch the lens.
3. Clean your phone screen and adjust the brightness
A problem with scanning the QR code might also originate from your phone’s screen. For example, a dirty or cracked screen might obstruct some parts of the QR code, making it unscannable.
On top of that, your phone’s screen might interfere with the camera view if the screen’s brightness level is too high, which will cause a glare.
Therefore, to fix the issue, start by wiping your phone’s screen to ensure there are no dirt smudges obstructing the QR code. It would help if you also lowered the brightness level, but not too much so that the code is not visible.
4. Adjust the scanning distance and hold your phone steady as you are scanning
The scanning distance is another reason that might be causing your camera not to scan the QR code. If you are too near the camera, parts of the QR code might not be visible.
On the other hand, if you are too far away, the camera will not sense the code. The proper distance for scanning is about five to eight inches from the camera screen.
Therefore, slowly adjust the distance you are holding the phone from the camera and see if the code scans.
Also, while attempting to scan, ensure that you hold your phone steadily, as movements might cause the camera not to sense the code.
5. Restart your Wyze camera
Software or firmware glitches are another possible reason your Wyze cam pan doesn’t read the QR code. The good news is that most of these glitches are minor and temporary; hence you can fix them with a simple restart of your camera (power cycle).
To reset the camera, unplug it from the power source at the outlet or the camera power inlet port. Let the camera rest for about 30 seconds to a minute, then power it back on and try scanning the code again.
6. Reset your Wyze camera
If none of the above solutions works, resetting your Wyze camera to the factory settings is the next best solution. Doing this will usually clear any issues in the camera causing it to malfunction.
To reset your Wyze camera:
- Make sure your camera is connected to a power supply
- Press and hold the setup button for about 20 seconds (about 10 seconds for Wyze cam v2, Wyze Cam Pan v1, Wyze Cam v3, and Wyze Cam Pan v2
- The camera will start flashing when the reset is complete, and you can try scanning the code again.
Here’s a video about resetting the camera using its app.
Scan the QR code on Wyze Cam
You cannot complete setting up your Wyze cam without scanning the QR code generated on your phone by the Wyze app. Therefore, a camera that refuses to scan the code is the worst thing you can experience during the setup process.
Luckily, with the information above, you can easily identify and fix why the code is not scanning.