Wi-Fi home cameras have increased in popularity in recent times. These tiny and compact devices make a great addition to a home’s security system.
An excellent example of such a camera is the Wyze Cam. Wyze has a number of cameras including the Wyze Cam v3, Wyze Cam v1/v2 & Pan, Wyze Cam Outdoor, and Wyze Video Doorbell. Since they are wireless, the cameras require an internet connection to work properly.
So, can you use a Wyze Cam with Wi-Fi?
Wyze Cam can work with and without Wi-Fi. However, a wireless connection is necessary when viewing live streams, receiving notifications, and changing your camera settings in the Wyze app.
Wi-Fi is essential to configure and set up the camera when getting started. But after the configuration, you will have to insert a microSD card into the camera and turn Local recording to microSD card on to get started.
Once done, the camera will record events continuously and save the data into the SD card without Wi-Fi.
How to connect a Wyze camera to Wi-Fi
You can connect your Wyze camera to Wi-Fi using the following steps:
- Download the Wyze app for Android or iOS.
- Create a new account or sign in to your account.
- Connect your phone to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network and have your network password ready.
- Plug the camera into a power outlet using the provided USB cable and power adapter.
The status light will turn solid yellow when powered.
If it starts flashing then, it is ready for setup. Here is what you should do:
- Tap on Home in the Wyze app
- Select the + (plus) sign on the top left
- Tap on Add Device
- Select Cameras, then Wyze Cam or Wyze Cam Pan
- Tap on Next in the app, ensuring you have plugged the camera into an outlet
- Pull the base from the camera and press SETUP on the bottom. It will say Ready to Connect
- Check the box next to I heard, Ready to connect in the Wyze app and tap on Next
- Select your 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network, and enter your password, and tap on Next
- Scan the QR code on the Wyze app
- Check the box next to I heard, QR code scanned in the Wyze app
- Tap on Next
At this point, you will only have to set up a name for your device. Enter your preferred username in the text field provided. Once done, tap on Finish, and you are good to go.
Does Wyze camera use data?
If you live in a rural area and you do not have Wi-Fi, you can use mobile data or a hotspot to operate your Wyze Camera.
However, that means you will use lots of data to run the camera. Generally, it is challenging to determine how much data the camera will need.
The live stream video feature in a Wyze Cam uses 1-2 megabytes of data per minute in standard definition. In high-definition, that translates to about 4-7 megabytes per minute.
Since the numbers are only for streaming, you would have to determine the number of minutes or hours a day you are streaming video from the camera to know how much data you will require to operate it.
Does the Wyze base station have to stay connected to the router?
The Wyze base station requires a wired connection to a router during setup. You cannot set up the Base Station without a router. After the setup, you can switch to a Wi-Fi connection.
Once done, it must stay connected to the router because the outdoor cam cannot work without the base station. That is the primary reason the cams and base station come packaged together.
Can you view Wyze Cam remotely?
The Wyze Cam comes with a smartphone app that you can use to view a live video stream of your Cam from a remote location.
However, Wyze cam only works on Wi-Fi for remote access. That means you require an internet connection for this to work well.
To view the live stream:
- Open the Wyze app
- Tap on your Wyze Cam v1/v2 or Pan
- Wait for your camera to load
Once it loads, you will view a live video stream of your Cam.
You can use your Wyze Cam with or without Wi-Fi. A wireless network is only necessary when live streaming, receiving notifications, and changing your camera settings.
Note that a Wyze cam connected without an internet connection can only work if you have a MicroSD card to record local events and save the data.
The Wi-Fi option is much better because it allows you to access your camera remotely using the Wyze app.