Sometimes the Wyze camera system encounters service issues, whereby some features stop working. Whenever you see a problem, the best way of fixing it is to power cycle your device.
For example, many users have come across the Wyze cam error code 90 which occurs because of a communication issue.
In most cases, it happens when your device cannot reach the streaming servers. A better way of fixing the problem is to power cycle your camera.
But why is power-cycling your Wyze Cam essential, and how does it work?
What it means to power cycle the Wyze cam
Power cycling means turning the Wyze Cam off and then on again. It starts by disconnecting the device from a power source and then powering it on.
When you restart it, many things can happen. These include:
- Reinitialising the device’s set of configuration parameters.
- Recovering the Wyze Cam from an unresponsive state.
- Resetting the network activity inside the camera.
- Troubleshooting an issue with the device.
Essentially, power cycling your camera should be the first step to consider whenever you encounter an issue with it.
It is a step you can complete even when the Wyze Cam connection failed.
Other situations where this may be necessary include:
- The camera is showing offline, but the live stream works.
- Settings are not updating.
When you connect the Wyze camera and notice the motion events are missing despite having all the correct settings, consider restarting the device as a way of troubleshooting the issue.
How to power cycle Wyze camera
Power cycling the camera will depend on the model you are using.
Here are the steps for the Wyze Cam V1/V2 and Pan models.
- Unplug the camera from the power source. You can remove the plug either from the camera or the wall outlet.
- Wait for about ten seconds for the device to discharge completely.
- Plug back the power cord into the wall outlet or camera.
Once done, allow it to reinitialize.
If you are using the Wyze Cam Outdoor, here is how you can power cycle it
- Locate the power switch on the back of the camera.
- Switch it to the OFF position.
- If you have connected it to a power source, unplug the cord.
- Wait for about 30 seconds.
- Flip the power switch back to the ON position.
Understand that power cycling the Wyze Cam Outdoor is different from the V1/V2 and PAN because the former has an internal battery that you can turn off manually with a switch.
How to power cycle Wyze camera remotely
If you want to power cycle the Wyze camera remotely, you will have to use the device’s app.
- Open the app.
- Tap on Live Stream.
- Select the Gear Icon.
- Tap Restart Device.
Your device will power off and restart anew.
You can power cycle Wyze Cam to fix error 90 whenever you encounter it. The error code 90 means a communication glitch between the camera and the Wyze servers.
To do this, unplug the device from the wall outlet. Alternatively, turn the power switch located on the back of the device to the OFF position.