Discord opens up multiple communication channels over the internet. They are voice, video, and text.
The app is great for those who want to talk, chat, hang out, and stay close to family, friends, and communities that share a common interest.
But if you’ve tried to send videos on Discord, you may have realized that it sometimes doesn’t work.
To send videos on Discord, click the + icon in the message bar and select the video you would like to share before pressing Upload.
For this to work, the video must be of the supported format and the right size.
The file types supported by the application are MP4, MOV, AVI, FLV, MPEG4, 3GPP, and WebM, among others.
In addition, your membership tier will also determine the sizes of videos you can send. If you have a basic account, you can only send videos that are up to 8 MB.
If you want to bypass the 8MB limit on Discord, you need the Nitro account.
The Nitro membership will allow you to share MP4 files that are up to 50 MB in size or Discord Nitro to share up to 100 MB.
Now that you know about video requirements on discord, here are several ways of sending videos.
How to send videos on Discord via computer
If you are using a Windows PC, here is how you can send videos on Discord:
- Open the Discord app on your PC.
- Login to your account if necessary.
- Click the plus (+) icon in the message bar for the channel you want to send the video to.
- Locate the video you want to send.
- Double-click on the file.
- Click on Upload. You can add a comment if necessary.
The steps above will enable you to embed a video on Discord to allow people to watch it from within the application.
You can also use the above procedure to send the video using your Mac computer.
How to send videos on Discord through YouTube
You can use YouTube to send a video link on Discord. The application will embed the video and allow the recipient to view it within the app.
Here is how:
- Log in to your YouTube account. Logging in will allow you to send long videos on Discord that are up to 15 minutes and larger than 8MB.
- Once you open YouTube, click on the video camera icon on the top right side of your screen.
- Click on Upload Video. Alternatively, select the option GO LIVE or choose a video from your device gallery if you are using the YouTube app.
- Choose a video or drag and drop it into the browser.
- Describe your video and choose a thumbnail.
- Click on Done and copy the link provided.
- Go to the Discord channel, chat session, or contact you want to share the video and paste the link.
Once done, the app will embed the link and allow the recipient to watch its corresponding video.
How to transfer a video from your phone to Discord
You can also transfer a video from your phone to Discord using the following steps:
- Instead of opening the Discord app, go to the video you have saved in your device storage.
- Highlight the video and tap on the share icon.
- Locate Discord from the list of applications that pop up.
- Tap on the Discord icon.
- You will see the message preview.
- Add a comment if necessary.
- Select the name of the person from your contact list to whom you want to send the video.
- Click on the send icon at the top of the chat window.
- Wait for the video to automatically upload
Ensure that you send a video that is below 8 MB in size for this to work well.
Otherwise, you will have to subscribe to a higher tier to increase the size of files you can send to up to 100 MB.
If you do not want to use the premium service, use third-party software to compress video for Discord.
You can send video files on Discord in three different ways. These include using your Mac or Windows computer, YouTube, and your Android device for the Discord app.
Before sending any file, ensure it is not more than 8 MB if you use a basic account. Otherwise, you will have to upgrade your account so that you can send large sizes of up to 100 MB.
Also, ensure you are uploading a supported format before sending.