When you install SnapChat for the first time, you will notice that the app requires you to enable location services. The app needs your location so that you can use some of its basic features such as filters.
Some lenses do not work well in specific areas. So, if you are a traveller, turning off your location will deny you access to geo-filters on SnapChat, including stickers and badges.
Geo-filters are a feature introduced in the app. They are similar to the cat and dog filters that have been part of SnapChat from the beginning.
However, they are location-specific. That means they will only appear on a user’s phone based on their specific locations.
For example, the Logan Square geo-filter cannot apply when you are in Paris. But that does not mean you cannot use them regardless of your location.
You need to change your location on SnapChat map to use any filters you want.
Here is how to change your location on SnapChat:
1. Turn off Ghost Mode on Snap Map
The Snap Map is a feature that lets users share their current locations. It may seem interesting to share your exact location with others.
But that can be dangerous. In that case, you need to turn the feature off. Here’s how to do it:
- Tap your camera screen generously to access the Snap Map. You need version 10.11.0.0 or later to access the feature
- If you are accessing it for the first time, choose your preferences
- Next, give SnapChat access to your location then hit Next
- You will get a b for the type of people that can view location on the Snap Map. Select the Ghost Mode by choosing Only Me
- Tap Next then tap Finish
If you want to share your location with a selection of people, choose the option Select Friends. It will allow you to pick the specific people that will know where you are.
2. Fake your location
The best way of accessing geo-locked lenses is to fake location on SnapChat filters. You can do it by using a free VPN service that will change your location to appear as if you are accessing the app from a different locality.
Other people use third-party jailbreak tweak apps to fake their exact positions.
Apps like Phantom allow you to customise SnapChat and use it in different ways. For demonstration purposes, this guide will use the Phantom app.
- Download and install Phantom for snapchat on your iOS device
- Go to Settings then Phantom for SnapChat
- Select your preferred options by configuring the app
- Open SnapChat
- On the bottom of your screen, select the location button
- A World Map will come up. Change your location from the map
- Tap and hold until the world map disappears from your screen
- Select your preferred location on SnapChat
After selecting a new area, your snaps will show any area you want. That also means you will always access geo-filters regardless of where you are.
The SnapChat location filter is a feature that allows you to access lenses by location. If you are in an area where the lenses you want are not available, the easiest solution is to fake your area.
You can do that by turning on Ghost Mode on Snap Map. Or, you can use third-party apps to fake your location.