Even with multiple streaming platforms, people still rely on radio for entertainment and information –for a good reason.
Podcasts have mimicked the radio’s approach to telling stories, but the space for radio is irreplaceable. Unlike two decades ago, it is possible to listen to your favorite radio station from your iPhone or Android device using free offline radio apps.
These radio apps don’t need data or WiFi:
NextRadio is one of the apps that have redefined how people listen to radio and music. It arguably the best FM radio app for android that doesn’t use the internet.
Some of the features that make NextRadio a futuristic app include the following.
- The radio/music app is free on Google Play — regardless of where you are on the globe.
- You can upgrade to premium service if you want more than local FM stations.
- The app has a filter option, and you have the choice of selecting your favorite stations as opposed to listening to all stations.
For NextRadio to access the local FM stations, you must have the standard headphones. If you have Bluetooth speakers, for example, you can only access the premium services offered by NextRadio.
The app is, therefore, not ideal for you if you have one of the latest phones that come without a headphone jack.
Download NextRadio on Android
2. Simple Radio
Like most apps in this list, Simple Radio is a hybrid FM app. The app gives you the ability to listen to your favorite local FM stations without the internet or WIFI.
On the other hand, if you have access to the internet, the app gives you a chance to explore thousands of radio stations across the world.
Some of the features that make Simple Radio app one of the best offline radio apps include the following.
- The app gives you a chance to listen to your radio without the internet, depending on the FM stations available on your locality.
- Simple radio has one of the best app interfaces on this list. Navigating the Simple Radio app is therefore straightforward.
- Simple radio is also a perfect FM radio app for the iPhone without the internet.
- Simple radio, unlike other offline radio apps, is an ideal FM radio app for android without headphones and the internet.
3. TuneIn Radio
TuneIn Radio is one of the most versatile apps on this list — thanks to FM and streaming functionalities.
The app is also available on both the App Store and Google Play as a free to download FM app. Thanks to the app’s functionality and its features, it is the best offline radio app for android and Apple gadgets.
Some of the additional features for TuneIn Radio include the following.
- On this app, you can listen to the radio without the internet, but the number of stations available on this feature depends on where you are on the globe.
- In case you want additional features, TuneIn Radio gives you a chance to pay for a premium. If your premium subscription expires, you can continue listening to your favorite local FM stations at no cost.
iHeartRadio is one of the most downloaded apps on this list —both on the App Store and Google Play.
Apart from being one of the best streaming apps, it is a perfect AM radio app for android without internet. Before downloading iHeartRadio, you should know the following facts about the app.
- The availability of radio stations — on the free FM option — depends on where you are in the globe. If the location has fewer FM and AM signals, you can only listen to a few radio stations.
- iHeartRadio is arguably the only functional FM radio app for android without headphones and internet.
- In order for the offline FM radio tuner for android to work, you must set your location correctly on the app settings.
5. Radio FM
As the name suggests, Radio FM is an offline FM radio tuner for android and Apple gadgets. There are also app modifications for Windows gadgets.
Like most apps on this list, Radio FM is a radio app that doesn’t use data or WiFi.
However, if you want to access additional functions, you can use the internet. The versatility of this app is to give users more than just an FM radio listening experience.
Additionally, Radio FM is an ideal app based on two reasons.
- It has a perfect user interface, which is not only easy to navigate but also stable.
- Radio FM is also a free app, and therefore, giving the app a trial will cost you nothing. You should, however, ensure that your phone has a headphone jack for a better experience.
6. Slacker Radio
Slacker Radio is one of the apps that work perfectly in the Apple ecosystem and not in the android world. The functionality of Slacker Radio is also different from other apps.
If you intend to try out Slacker Radio, here are some of the things you should know about the app.
- The availability of offline radio depends on your subscription. The app, however, gives you a trial period, and during the trial period, you have more control options compared to the free Slacker Radio option.
- You do not need typical headphones to enjoy the available radio stations. If you have Bluetooth headphones, you can still enjoy your favorite radio programs.
- Slacker Radio has a minimalist interface, and this may be the main reason why the app works perfectly in the Apple ecosystem.
The app is an ideal radio app for different types of listeners. If you enjoy saved podcasts, for example, Pandora is a perfect replacement for Soundcloud and Spotify.
The app is also an ideal replacement for your native FM app, thanks to the number of FM stations available for remote listening.
Pandora is, however, a special radio app for the following reasons.
- It is both a paid and free radio app, and the upgrades are worthy if you want more radio stations.
- Pandora has a beautiful layout — free from ads.
- If you want to record your favorite radio program, upgrading your free version is advisable. However, if you only want to listen to AM or FM radio stations, you do not need any upgrade.
While trying out these offline radio apps, you’ll notice that some have geographical restrictions that may limit those who are outside the US.
It is, therefore, best to select an app that will work well in your current location.