Do you need to reset your Night Owl DVR? Sometimes, your CCTV recording system might experience issues that can be hard to pinpoint. When this happens, resetting it to default settings can help fix it.
So, how do you reset your DVR to factory settings? Well, it’s quite simple. You just need to follow the specific process for your device model and you are good to go.
How to reset Night Owl DVR – Guides for different versions
Below is a step-by-step guide on how to reset various Night Owl DVR models to default settings. Scroll down to your specific model for steps to reset.
Night Owl ADH10, HAD10, HDA30, NVRIH8, NVRIC8, and NVRH5 models
- Go to the main menu of your DVR or NVR. Log into the system if prompted (some models will ask for login information)
- On the menu section, click on the Advanced tab.
- On the tab that appears, navigate to the Load Default option.
- Choose all in the section asking for the factory reset of your system, then click on save
Night Owl WVNR series
- With the NVR on, right-click on the screen to activate the launch bar (at the bottom of the screen)
- Click on the main menu then log into your NVR
- Click on the Maintain Tab, followed by Factory Default.
- Choose All to reset your NVR to factory settings, then click on Apply to save
Night Owl XHD DVR series
- With your DVR powered on, right-click on display a launch bar at the bottom of the screen.
- Go to Main Menu and log in if prompted to do so.
- Go to the Advanced
- tab, then go to and click on Load Default in the new tab that appears.
- Choose All to factory reset the DVR settings.
- Click OK to save the new settings.
Night Owl THD DVR series
- With your DVR powered on, right-click on the screen to display a drop-down menu.
- From the drop-down list, select Main Menu. Depending on your model, you might be prompted to log in with your administrator password.
- Navigate to the Maintenance tab on the main menu then click on the Default tab.
- Click on the Factory Defaults – this will restore the original settings.
After resetting, your system will restart, after which the new settings will kick in.
How to factory reset a night Owl DVR without a password?
To factory reset the Night Owl DVR or NVR, you need an administrator username and password. So, what happens if you have forgotten your password?
Several options are available for you:
- Try using the default admin password: this option will only work if you have not created a custom password. You can try various variants of Night Owl DVR/NVR default passwords to see if they work on your device. These are admin/123456, admin/admin, or root/123456.
- Perform a password reset: like most systems, you can reset your password for your Night Owl decoder. Simply go to the password recovery page, and enter your username or email. Night Owl will then send you password reset instructions, which you can use to create a new password.
- Contact Night Owl technical team: wondering how to reset night owl DVR without email? If you have changed the default password and have forgotten your email, the Night Owl customer care team can help you. Simply send them an email on Support@NightOwlSP.com and ask for help in either creating a new password, or factory resetting your decoder.
Restoring the default settings of your Night Owl DVR or NVR can help fix many problems. This is especially the case when the current settings are causing an issue that you cannot troubleshoot.
And while it might sound scary, it should not worry you too much; only the default configurations are changed. These include video settings, network settings, and more. In some cases, the factory settings might also reset resolution and password. However, video recordings of the DVR or NVR will not be deleted.