Are you looking for something to pass time at home, in the office, or when traveling?
You are in luck. Thanks to Apple’s update to its operating system, you can now play games on iMessage for devices with iOS 10 or higher.
There are several iMessage games to choose from. However, one of the most exciting that you can play with your friends is Connect Four.
Connect Four is a two-player board game that has been around for several decades. Apple has adopted this game for mobile devices, allowing you to enjoy a great time with your friends.
Below is a detailed look at the game, from gameplay and rules to strategies on how to win.
Connect Four gameplay and rules
Wondering how to play Connect 4 on an iOS device? It’s quite easy. The first thing to take note of is that you play Connect Four through text, so you need a friend to play with.
Once you have chosen your friend, you can move on to the steps below:
- Enable the emoji keyboard on your device. To do this go to Settings > General > Keyboard > Keyboards > Add New Keyboard. Then, scroll down the Keyboard choices until you come across “emoji” and select it
- Open the “Messages” app and click on the new message
- Use to Keyboard button to change from text to emoji keyboard
- Scroll through the emoji list until you reach the shapes
- Create a 6×4 or 7×4 board of white circles and you are ready to start the game
Gameplay – how to play Connect 4 on iMessage
Playing Connect 4 on iPhone and other iOS devices is easy. Below is a look at how to do it:
- Send the text (board with white) to your friend inviting them to play
- Pick a color, say red, and let your friend pick another color, say blue
- Send the message back and forth to each other, each time copy-pasting it and removing a white circle, and replacing it with the color you have picked. Your friend will also do the same.
- Repeat this until one of you gets 4 in a row (four circles with your color of choice in a row)
Rules for playing Connect Four
Connect four rules are simple and easy to follow. Below is a look at them:
- The game is made for two players
- During gameplay, the players make the moves by turns
- The moves involve replacing one of the white circles with another one with the color you have chosen. A player can only replace one circle at each turn
- The aim of the game is to create a straight line of four circles with your chosen color. The connecting line can be horizontal, vertical, or diagonal
- The game ends when one of the players makes four circles, without any gaps between them
Connect four cheats/tips, strategies, and tricks
Wondering how to win at Connect Four? No game can be fun without the concept of winning. The good news is that winning at this one is quite easy.
Below are some tips, tricks, and strategies that can help you beat your friend every time:
Control the middle row
Aside from vertical winning combinations, any other connect-four win needs at least one circle from the middle row.
Therefore, having most of your pieces on this row will give you an edge over your opponent
Anticipate and block your opponent’s moves
You win by making sure that your opponent does not win. Therefore, study each of their moves and make sure to create moves that block their wins
Watch out for game-ending spaces
These open up depending on the moves played by you or your opponent. Be on the lookout for them and do either of the things:
- Take advantage of them to win or
- Prevent your opponent from winning
Playing Connect Four on iPhone is a great way to pass time while staying in touch with your friends.
The game is easy to play, entertaining, and you can play it for a long time without getting bored. If you are new to it, the above information can help you get started with ease.