Twitch is the best platform for gamers worldwide to stream or watch other streamers play their favorite video games.
But it is also a platform where people can create different content and entertain their viewers. An advantage of Twitch is that viewers can donate to their favorite streamers.
One of the primary methods of donating is through PayPal. But can a streamer get donations without PayPal?
PayPal is not the only method you can use to donate to a Twitch streamer. There are other ways, including Twitch Bits, cryptocurrencies, and third-party donations.
Third-party Twitch donations collect donations for Twitch streamers. The best examples include sites like StreamLabs, Muxy, Gaming for Good, and Stream Elements.
Before a streamer can receive a donation, they must create a donation button on their page.
How do I enable donations on Twitch?
You can enable donations on Twitch using the following steps:
- Go to your Twitch dashboard.
- Click on your avatar at the top-right corner.
- Select Channel.
- Click on Chat in the new window.
- Scroll downwards and turn on the Edit Panels toggle switch.
- A new window with your active panels will appear.
- Select the empty widget with a plus sign in the middle.
- Click on Add a text or image Panel.
- Provide a title and description for your donation.
- Under Image Links To, enter a sharable link that will receive your donations. For example, you can enter your PayPal link to accept donations.
- Submit the widget.
Your viewers can now see a donation button anytime they watch your streams. If they click on it, the link you inserted will redirect them to your donation page, allowing them to donate.
How to get donations on Twitch without PayPal
You can get donations on Twitch without PayPal using different methods, including:
1. Twitch Bits
Twitch Bits are the official Twitch currency. Users can buy Bits and spend them by supporting their best streamers.
However, before a streamer can get Bits from viewers, they will first have to be a Twitch partner or an affiliate. If you already qualify as a partner or Affiliate, you can set up Bits as follows:
- First, click on your Profile icon.
- Select Creator Dashboard.
- Locate and click on either Affiliate or Partner Settings. The option will be available depending on whether you are a partner or an Affiliate. For this demonstration, click on Affiliate.
- Click on Bits & Cheering from the menu.
- Toggle Enable Cheering with Bits.
Your channel will now be ready to accept Bits from viewers.
A subscription on Twitch allows a viewer to pay a minimum of $4.99 per month to support a streamer’s channel.
The viewer can opt for a one-time or recurring subscription. Once subscribed, they will access all of a streamer’s emotes and other benefits they provide.
Subscriptions are better for a streamer because the individual does not have to rely on donations using PayPal.
Twitch allows you to accept cryptocurrency donations. However, that means you require an existing crypto account or wallet.
Here is what you should do:
- Open your cryptocurrency wallet. You can have any wallet, including Coinbase, Binance, Electrum, Mycelium, MetaMask, Crypto.com, etc.
- Click on the Receive button in your crypto wallet.
- Tap and copy your wallet’s address (a long list of numbers and letters).
- Go to your Twitch channel.
- Click on Edit Panels.
At this point, follow the steps outlined in Step One above on How to add donations on Twitch. But when you get to the page for filling in the description fields, add your crypto wallet address.
Ensure you specify the cryptocurrency you accept.
4. Third-party Twitch Donations
You can use third-party services to accept Twitch donations. One of the best services to consider is StreamLabs.
Here is how to set it up.
- Go to Streamlabs.com and create an account. Instead of creating an account with your email, select the option Continue with Twitch to make things easier.
- Go to your StreamLabs dashboard.
- Click on Settings.
- Click on Donations Settings.
- Select Methods at the bottom of the Donations Settings. A list of payment processors will display, including PayPal, Skrill, Credit Cards, etc.
- Choose your preferred Payment Processor.
- Click on Connect.
- Go through the outlined steps to connect your account.
- Once you have connected your account with StreamLabs, your donation page will be available at Streamlabs.com/USERNAME.
- Customize your donation settings by clicking on Settings in StreamLabs.
- Select the best presets for your donations. Ensure to include an image banner, preferred amount, or minimum amount.
- Under Your Page, you will see a link to your donation page.
The link is shareable, and you can use it on Twitch to allow your viewers to donate.
An advantage of using StreamLabs is that you can choose any payment method you prefer other than PayPal.
Can you get donations on Twitch without being an affiliate?
If you are not a Twitch Partner or Affiliate, you can receive donations by creating a donations page on your Twitch account.
The process entails creating a link with the help of third-party services like PayPal, StreamLabs, or providing your cryptocurrency wallet address.
Do you get 100% of Twitch donations?
If a viewer makes a donation using Twitch Bits, Twitch will take 30% of the viewer’s initial purchase of Bits.
However, the platform will not take any money from the viewer’s Bits donated to a streamer. Therefore, if somebody donates 100 Bits to you as a streamer, you will receive 100 Bits.
If a viewer makes a donation using other methods, including PayPal, Cryptocurrency, or third-party donations, Twitch will not deduct any money. That is because the donations are outside of Twitch’s platform.
Can anyone set up Twitch donations?
If you are a Twitch streamer, you can set up a donation page to accept donations from your streamers.
However, Twitch does not have a product that allows for charitable donations.
Can under-18s get donations on Twitch?
Twitch has a policy that prevents individuals under 13 from creating an account with the service, including participating in or hosting a stream.
Furthermore, since you can set up a donation page using third-party services or send money on Twitch, it will depend on what the services consider as the applicable age of using their platforms.
For example, PayPal does not allow the under-18s to create an account, and all cryptocurrency platforms cannot accept the under-18s to create crypto wallets.
Ready to receive donations?
Twitch gives you the freedom to accept donations from your viewers using PayPal.
However, you can also accept donations without PayPal using other third-party services, cryptocurrency, subscriptions, or Twitch Bits.
The third-party option is straightforward, and an excellent service you should consider is StreamLabs.