Fitbit automatically syncs the data it collects with the Fitbit app throughout the day. Anytime you open the Fitbit app, the device syncs automatically when nearby. But you can do it manually by tapping on the sync button on the Fitbit app.
However, a problem users have encountered lately is that the Fitbit app is not syncing, meaning they cannot track their progress, set their goals, and challenge their friends.
So, why does this problem occur, and how can you fix it?
Generally, Fitbit devices, including watches and trackers, use Bluetooth technology to sync with a phone.
So, when your Fitbit Versa 2 or any other model is not syncing, the device could have disconnected, thus preventing it from communicating with your phone. It could also mean that your Fitbit app has an issue or your device is out-of-date.
However, other factors can prevent your Fitbit from syncing.
Why you can’t sync a Fitbit to your phone?
If you open your Fitbit device (Sense or Versa 3) and see the phone disconnected icon, the device cannot communicate with your smartphone and is not syncing to your phone. Here are the reasons that could have caused the problem:
- Your Fitbit device is out-of-date.
- You have turned off Bluetooth on your device.
- Your Fitbit app is out-of-date.
When Fitbit is not syncing on Android, you may have turned off permissions for the Fitbit app.
5 ways to fix the Fitbit app that is not syncing
If your Fitbit app is not syncing, you can try the following five options to fix it.
1. Restart your Fitbit
Restarting your Fitbit device is the simplest way of forcing it to sync if it has stopped communicating with your app. For Fitbit Ionic, Sense, and Versa series, here is what to do:
- Press and hold the button for ten seconds
- You will see the Fitbit logo on the screen.
- Release the button.
Suppose you have other Fitbit devices; press and hold the back and bottom buttons until you see the Fitbit logo on the screen. Once done, go back to the app and try syncing.
2. Force quit the Fitbit app
Force-quitting the Fitbit app will stop all its currently running instances. Also, the app will not access any of its cache files, causing an error.
How to force quit Fitbit on Android
You can force quit Fitbit on Android by doing the following:
- Go to Settings on the Android device.
- Select App, Applications, or Manage apps.
- Tap on Application Manager (the option will depend on your device).
- Scroll to locate the Fitbit app.
- Tap on the app
- Tap on FORCE STOP.
If you have an iPhone:
- Swipe up from the bottom of your screen and pause in the middle of the screen.
- Swipe right or left to find Fitbit.
- Swipe up on Fitbit’s preview to close it.
Go back to the app and try to sync it.
3. Check your Bluetooth connection
Fitbit uses Bluetooth Low Energy technology to synch with smartphones and tablets. If Bluetooth is off, synchronization will not happen.
Therefore, when you have an issue with Fitbit not syncing with your iPhone, the first thing to check is the Bluetooth connection between the Fitbit device and the phone. You should also make sure that the two devices are within range.
- Open your phone.
- Go to Settings.
- Select Bluetooth.
- Turn Bluetooth off and back on.
Try to sync again.
4. Unpair and re-pair your Fitbit device
The best way to fix a Fitbit app that is not synching is unpairing the device and then re-pairing it. The option will reset any connection or communication between Fitbit and your phone.
Here is what to do;
- Open the Fitbit app.
- Tap on the Today tab.
- Tap on your profile icon or picture.
- Select your Fitbit device.
- Tap on Remove or the Trash icon.
Follow the on-screen instructions to remove the device from your account.
After unpairing the device:
- Go to your account tab.
- Tap on Set Up a Device.
Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup and pair the devices again.
5. Update your Fitbit device
Updating your Fitbit device will fix bugs and other issues with synchronization.
- Open your Fitbit app.
- Tap on the Today tab.
- Tap on your profile icon.
- Select your device image.
- Tap the pink Update button. The option will appear if an update is available.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
As the device updates, keep it close to your phone. Also, ensure that you have charged your Fitbit because it can take up to an hour to complete the process.
You can try different fixes if your Fitbit app is not syncing. For example, you can restart your Fitbit device and try again. Also, check to ensure your Bluetooth connection is on.
Alternatively, unpair the app, re-pair it, force quit the Fitbit app, or update your Fitbit device.