Airbnb is a great app, whether you are planning a vacation or hosting guests. However, it also comes with a few issues, one of them being a red notification icon that won’t disappear.
Trying to find out which messages you haven’t read can be a frustrating experience. On top of that, the icon can drive you crazy with its continued flashing even after reading all messages.
To remove sticky Airbnb notifications, you will need to access Airbnb from a PC or Mac browser and clear the messages from there.
This will remove any unread messages and notifications, including the red dot on your app.
It is also possible to remove the notification icon through other fixes on your Airbnb app or profile.
For example, you can try updating your app, deleting cache, re-installing the app, or removing Airbnb alerts from your profile.
How to remove Airbnb notifications icon through the website?
Some Airbnb messages might not be visible on the phone’s app. Furthermore, your application could be experiencing problems that affect messages and notifications.
Therefore, the best way to get rid of a notification message that won’t go away on Airbnb is to do it through your PC
Below is a step-by-step look at how to remove the red dot notification icon:
- Launch a browser on your PC or Mac and go to airbnb.com.
- Log into your account the go to the dashboard.
- Go to the “Messages” button located at the top-right corner of the page. Click once and a drop-down menu will appear.
- Read any messages or notifications currently showing. Alternatively, you can click on the “X” button next to them to remove them.
- Go back to your phone and re-launch your Airbnb app. The red notification will have disappeared.
Other ways to clear the red dot on your Airbnb profile
Don’t have access to a desktop browser? Or is the red dot still on display? Below are other fixes you can try:
Update the app
An out-of-date app is one of the top causes of many app problems. Therefore, if the Airbnb messages icon is not disappearing, one of the first things you should do is update your app.
To do this:
- Launch the Google Play Store on your phone.
- From your app’s dashboard, tap on the menu icon and go to “My apps & games”
- Scroll through the apps and find Airbnb. Tap on it to open an individual app screen.
- If the up is not up-to-date, an “updated” button will appear. Click on it to update.
If using an iPhone or other iOS device:
- Launch the App Store app
- Tap on the “Updated” tab at the bottom left of the screen
- Select Airbnb from the apps that need to be updated and tap on Update
With your app updated, any issues that were present will be fixed.
Remove and install the app
Airbnb’s app data might become corrupted, thus causing issues even after updating it. In this case, removing and installing a fresh version of the application is the best idea.
To do this:
- Go to Settings > App on your phone and find Airbnb
- Tap on the app to launch its screen then tap on the “Uninstall” button to delete it
- If using an iOS device, simply go to where the Airbnb app is located on your menu screen. Tap and hold on the application until it starts to shake. Tap on the “X” to delete the app.
- With the application uninstalled, go to your App Store and search for Airbnb
- Re-install the application then launch it on your phone.
After launching the app, go to your messages and check if there are any that are unread. Open them to remove the red dot notification icon.
Remove Airbnb alerts
The dreaded red dot that won’t disappear can also be caused by Airbnb notifications alerts. Below is a look at how to remove them:
- Launch a browser on your PC or Mac and go to airbnb.com/alerts
- Under the “Alerts” tab, you will see a list of tasks that need to be taken care of
- Complete the tasks or click on the “X” next to them to remove them from your notifications
With the alerts removed, any outstanding notifications will disappear and so will the red dot icon.
A persistent notification alert that won’t go away is irritating and can drive you bonkers. Fixing it is thus vital for your peace of mind.
If your Airbnb message icon won’t go away, try the solutions above. At least one will fix the issue and restore your app back in order.