Are you looking to receive a payment from an individual from anywhere in the world? How about using the Payoneer “request a payment” feature?
Payoneer is an online money transfer platform that allows you to make or receive payments for your business from clients worldwide. But how can you receive payment from an individual?
One of the main drawbacks of Payoneer is that it is geared towards business transactions and has a list of businesses that can pay you.
However, the company has a “request a payment” feature, which you can use to ask individual or business clients not included in the company’s list to pay you through your Payoneer account.
The feature is an invoice of sorts, where you enter the client’s details, the payable amount, and other details such as the due date, and the reason for payment.
Below, we have compiled everything you need to know about Payoneer’s request payment feature. This includes step-by-step instructions on using it, when to use it, and other relevant information you might need.
How does Payoneer work?
Payoneer works by providing you with a platform where you can send and receive money or make payments.
It is primarily designed to be used by freelancers and service providers, small businesses, online sellers, and marketplaces (such as Amazon and eBay).
There are three ways in which you can send or receive payment on Payoneer:
1. Payoneer to Payoneer transfer
Payoneer to Payoneer payment transfer is one of the options that are available for sending and receiving money. It involves transferring funds from one Payoneer account holder to another. To use the service:
- Log into your Payoneer account
- Go to the Pay section on the dashboard and select Make a Payment
- Enter the details of the individual you are sending money to (email address) and complete the transaction.
The Payoneer to Payoneer transfer does, however, have a few limitations. They include:
- There is a minimum threshold of $50
- The person sending the money must have the feature activated – by receiving money in their account through another method other than Payoneer to Payoneer transfer.
Nonetheless, it can be a stress-free and straightforward way to send or receive money from individuals without charges.
2. Global Payment Service
The Global Payment Service is the primary method of sending or receiving money on Payoneer.
In addition, it allows you to receive money from marketplaces or other international clients/businesses that accept Payoneer as a payment method.
The Global Payment service supports several currencies such as the US dollar, British Pound, the Euro, Canadian Dollar, Australian Dollar, Hong Kong Dollar, Singapore Dollar, and Japanese Yen.
With each of these currencies, you are paid by clients the same way you would if you had a local bank account for your chosen currency.
This is made possible by Payoneer providing you with a virtual local bank account and other banking details such as routing number, Bank code, Branch code, etc.
To receive funds using the Global Payment information, you need to enter your Payoneer details (bank account, routing number, bank code, and any other relevant info) in the business/marketplace’s payment option.
You can also send your clients your Payoneer banking details for them to wire funds.
All funds you receive using the Payoneer Global Payment Service reflect in your account within 2 to 5 days. From your account, you can access the money through your Payoneer card or transfer them to your local bank account.
3. Request payment feature
The Payoneer Global Payment Service is not meant to receive payment from individuals – only marketplaces and international clients.
On the other hand, Payoneer to Payoneer transfer can only work when the individual sending you the money has a Payoneer account.
Thankfully, the Request Payment feature exists, helping you to receive payment from individual clients to your Payoneer account.
With the send payment request, you send the client you want to pay you a request with specified details. These include the amount of money, reason for payment, and when the payment is due.
On top of that, you can attach an invoice or other document related to the transaction.
In return, your client will get an email with the request, which has all the information you have attached. In addition, the request will also have various supported means of payment that they can use to send you money.
How do I receive a payment from an individual through Payoneer?
Looking to receive money from an individual? Below is a step-by-step look at how to use the Send Payment request feature on Payoneer:
- Go to payoneer.com and sign in to your account
- From your dashboard, access the menu (three-line icon at the top left corner) and click on the Receive option
- From the drop-down menu list, select Request a Payment
- Fill in the details of the payment and those of the individual you are receiving the money from
- Once done, submit the form and wait for the recipient to send the money
When can you use the request payment option?
The Request Payment option from Payoneer is not for all scenarios. It is only suitable when asking for payment from a client who doesn’t use the Payoneer Global Payment service or doesn’t have a Payoneer account (for the account to account transfers).
That being said, there are also explicit situations when you should not use the payment method. These include:
- Receiving money from a friend or family member. The company only allows the use of the feature for business transactions.
- If your business is not supported. The payment feature is for businesses offering services and products such as tech, supply, and logistics, design, tech support, programming, content writing, consulting, management, etc. Businesses that provide services or goods that Payoneer prohibits cannot use the service.
- To load your card or Payoneer account
- Receiving payment for the sale of goods to individual customers
Payoneer regularly reviews the transactions and can block your account if you are using the service for a purpose it is not intended for.
Payoneer payment request fee
The charges for the Payoneer Payment Request transactions depend on the payment method used.
For example, for credit or debit card transactions, the global finance company charges a fee of 3%. On the other hand, for bank deposits (electronic checks), the company charges between 0 to 1% depending on your location.
The time it takes for the money to appear in your account also varies. For credit or debit cards, the payment takes 2 to 3 business days. For bank deposits, it usually takes five business days.
Why is the “request payment” feature not available on my account?
Despite some restrictions, a request payment feature is a handy tool. Unfortunately, you may find that the option is not available on your account.
Here are some of the top reasons why the request payment option is not available on your Payoneer account:
- You have not met the required threshold of payment – depending on your location, to enable request a payment, you must first receive at least 5,000 USD (or equivalent). If you have not, the feature will not be available on your account.
- You have violated Payoneer’s terms of service, causing them to block the feature on your account.
- The feature was disabled as a security measure to protect your account
- You have not used the service for a long time
Why can’t I receive payments on Payoneer?
Didn’t receive payment despite successfully sending a payment request on Payoneer? What could be wrong? Below is a look at the top reasons why:
- The sender has yet to make the payment
- The bank declined the payment due to inadequate funds, wrong card details, suspicious transactions (especially if the bank doesn’t recognize Payoneer)
- The payment violates Payoneer’s terms of service
- The payment is under review by Payoneer
There you have it. You should now be able to request a payment from an individual directly into your PayPal account. If you are experiencing any challenges, the tips listed above should come in handy.