AT&T is undoubtedly the largest telecommunications provider in the world. One of their most convenient services is the voice mail feature which allows callers to record voice messages if a recipient cannot pick up the phone.
This way, you manage to keep in touch with people despite being busy. Lately, users have reported that they keep getting the voicemail is unavailable error when trying to receive or download their voicemails.
The good news is that you can quickly troubleshoot and solve the aforementioned problem even without contacting customer care.
3 ways to fix your AT&T voicemail feature when it isn’t working
Let’s take a look at the most effective ways of fixing the voicemail feature on AT&T when it isn’t working:
1. Check the wireless coverage and signal strength
To receive and download voice mail, you need to be in a place with strong signal and wireless coverage.
Here is how to check the signal strength
- Switch off your phone for a few seconds before switching it on
- Place a call to 611
- If the test goes through, press 1 to access your voice mail
If the call does not go through, go to AT&T wireless coverage site and confirm whether the area you are in has wireless coverage
If you have wireless coverage and the voice mail still won’t download, press 1 to listen to the message.
2. Reset your voicemail password
One of the fastest ways to resolve the voicemail service is not available problem is to reset the password. If AT&T gets a slight impression that your password safety might be compromised, they cease sending emails to your voice box. In this case,
- Confirm that you are in the AT&T wireless coverage area
- Sign in to your AT&T account by keying in your user ID and password
- Once you are on the homepage, click on the wireless option
- Click on my devices & add-ons and select the device with the problem
- Click on manage my device
- Scroll then click on device options and settings
- Click on reset voice mail password and follow the instructions you will be given.
3. Reset the network settings
Sometimes when AT&T voicemail is not working on an iPhone, it is challenging to pinpoint the exact thing causing the problem. Therefore, resetting the whole network is the only viable choice.
- Tap on the settings icon
- Scroll and click on general
- Click on transfer or reset iPhone and tap on reset
- Click on reset network settings and key in your phone passcode
- The iPhone should reset the network settings and restart automatically
Remember that resetting the network settings will erase all your WIFI and VPN passwords; note them down beforehand to avoid any inconvenience.
These are the most commonly asked questions about AT&T voicemail.
1. Is it possible to listen to my wireless voicemail messages on a different phone?
Yes. You will need to call your phone number and press the star asterism key to interrupt the message playing.
You will be prompted to key in your voicemail password before being granted access to your voicemails.
2. How can I access visual voicemail messages?
- Download and open the AT&T visual voicemail app
- Click on the message you want to view
- Press play
3. Why does my voicemail keep asking for a ten-digit voice box number?
For your voicemail to work, you need to activate it after which you will receive a box number.
Contact customer care for assistance if you do not have a box number or do not know it.
4. Can I access my voice mail messages when out of the country?
Yes, you can access your voicemails from anywhere in the world by following the steps below
- Press the one key on your AT&T phone until you hear the voicemail greeting
- Key in your ten-digit phone number
- Press and hold the star asterisk key
- Key in your voicemail password
5. How do I transfer the voicemails on my old phone to my new phone?
- Press and hold the voicemail key (1)
- Key in your password when prompted to
- Your voicemails will automatically transfer to your new phone
You will hardly encounter any difficulties or glitches when using AT&T’s voicemail, as the company prides itself on its seamless user experience.
However, just like everything artificial, the voicemail service is not flawless. Hopefully, the tips above will help you troubleshoot any error you may come across.