Jailbreaking on iOS has evolved in the past eight years. Unlike in the older iOS versions, the latest updates come with more software tweaks, which make customization of Apple products harder. One of the challenges is “Error loading the preference bundle” popup which is more common in iOS 12.
On iPhones that run iOS 12 or later, it is impossible to create a jailbreak procedure that is error-free and universal to all Apple products. Most of the available procedures compromise certain aspects such as differences in processors and more importantly, iPhone models.
Some of the reasons why “Error loading the preference bundle!” pop up occurs include:
- Missing jailbreak dependencies can result in the above error.
- Some jailbreaking procedures may have inadequate permissions and therefore you can’t install some tweaks
- Un-updated jailbreak files
Unlike years back, you could easily solve this problem with the help of your PC or remotely.
How to fix “Error loading the preference bundle!” on iPhone
To fix error loading the preference bundle, follow the solutions below:
Solution #1: Give the jailbreak tool all permissions when jailbreaking
Lack of giving the jailbreak tool proper permissions may result in preference bundle errors. To grant the jailbreaking tool the proper permissions, follow these steps.
- On your iPhone or iPad, download the iTerminal app
- Open the app and initiate a Secure Shell (SSH) session
- To create an SSH session, you must provide your Wi-Fi IPA address
- For password, add ‘alpine’ which is the default password
- Click ‘Connect’ to initiate SSH session
- To restart the jailbreaking process, you must copy chmod 777 /bootstrap/Library/PreferenceBundles/<tweak name>.bundle/<tweak name> as command
- Reboot your iPhone/iPad
- Try jailbreaking again
This solution solves the jailbreaking error most of the time. However, if the solution does not assist you in jailbreaking your iPhone or iPad, use the Unc0ver file through your PC.
Solution #2: Update Unc0ver jailbreak files
One of the easiest ways to fix the preference bundle error is by ensuring that your jailbreak tool is updated. Updating the app solves many bugs. Although Cydia notifies users in case of an update, it is hard to update it directly. It is therefore advisable to uninstall the app and reinstall it again.
To install the unc0ver jailbreak file:
- Download the file on your computer from Cydia website
- Next, download Cydia Impactor from the official impactor website for linking your Apple device with your PC
- Using a USB cable, connect your iPhone/iPad to your computer
- Open the downloaded Cydia Impactor on your computer
- Copy the downloaded file from step #1 to your Apple device using Cydia Impactor
- After copying the downloaded file on you Apple device, try to open the downloaded file
- Add your Apple ID and password for verification
Installing the updated Unc0ver Jailbreak app solves all the bug that causes your iPhone to display the “Error loading the preference bundle” pop-up. For better results, ensure that you download impactor and Unc0ver files from the provided links only.
If your iPhone is running on iOS 12 and below, the above 2 steps solve the preference bundle error. Also, it is always advisable to ensure that all the files used are from the links provided above and not from third-party websites.