Several users have reported instances where the DJI Fly app was not working or kept malfunctioning from time to time. When that happens, you cannot edit or share anything recorded by your drone.
You’ll also find yourself in a situation where you cannot get content from others or control your drone well. Therefore, you need to find a solution to fix this issue and continue using the app to control your drone.
From my findings, your DJI app is not working on Android because your phone memory and storage are insufficient. Therefore, you will have to clear some space to give the app enough room to operate.
The other major cause is temporary system errors from DJI Fly. In that case, you will have to contact customer support or wait until the company fixes the problem.
But these are not the only issues. I have covered several other factors that may cause the app to malfunction.
Why your DJI Fly app is not working
Your DJI Fly app for your DJI FPV device is not working because of different reasons, including:
- The app has a corrupted cache and data.
- Your internet connection is unstable.
- The app is not compatible with the device.
- The app is out-of-date.
The DJI Fly app for Mavic Pro can also stop working if it has a bug that requires fixing from the provider.
How to troubleshoot DJI Fly that is not working
You can troubleshoot an issue with your DJI Fly app by doing the following:
1. Clear app data and cache
The DJI Fly app stores cached data on your device to make it easier for you to access some services. However, the cache is not vital to the app’s general performance. Furthermore, the cache files can get corrupted over time and cause glitches in the app.
Therefore, consider clearing the cache and data and continue.
- Go to Settings.
- Tap on Apps & notifications.
- Select App info or See all apps.
- Scroll to locate the DJI Fly app.
- Tap Storage.
- Select Clear Cache and Clear Data.
Once you clear the DJI Fly app cache, go back to the app and open it to see whether it has fixed the issue.
2. Update the DJI Fly app
If you are using the DJI Fly app for your phantom drone and it is out-of-date, you will experience several problems. For example, the app will take longer to load, and some features will not work well.
In this case, you need to update the app to ensure it operates correctly.
How to update the DJI Fly app on Android
The DJI Fly app is not available on Android. However, here is how to update the app.
- Go to the DJI Fly website and download the DJI Fly app for Android.
- Go to Settings.
- Select Apps.
- Tap on Special App Access.
- Select Install Unknown Apps.
- Tap on the browser from where you downloaded the DJI Fly or select the Files app.
- Enable the toggle next to Allow from this source.
- Go to your Downloads folder and open the DJI Fly app.
After installing the app, it will have new updates to fix bugs in the previous version.
How to update DJI Fly on iOS
The app is available on the Apple Store. Therefore, you can update it as follows:
- Open the App Store.
- Tap on your profile icon at the top of the screen.
- Scroll to see pending updates and release notes for DJI Fly.
- Tap on Update next to the app.
Wait for the app to download the latest updates.
3. Check your internet connection
If you can’t download the DJI Fly app, your internet connection could be unstable. You can try connecting to a Wi-Fi network and see whether it will speed up the download. Also, you can do the following:
- Free up storage space.
- Check that your Android device has the latest updates.
- Restart your device.
The app can also fail to download if it is not compatible with your Android device.
4. Check app compatibility
Your DJI Fly app is not working because it is not compatible with the drone. Generally, the DJI Fly Android app interface is compatible with the following:
- DJI Mavic Mini
- Mavic Air 2
- DJI Mini 2
- DJI FPV
- DJI Air 2S
- DJI Mini SE
- DJI Mavic 3
- DJI Mini 3 Pro.
5. Uninstall and reinstall the app
Uninstalling the app will erase all the data. You will then have to install a new app and start anew.
- Go to Settings.
- Tap on Apps and then All apps.
- Tap the DJI Fly app.
- Tap on Uninstall.
Go to the DJI site and download the app for your Android device.
If you have an iPhone, do the following:
- Touch and hold the DJI Fly app.
- Tap on Remove App.
- Tap on Delete App.
- Tap on Delete to confirm.
After deleting, go to the App Store to download and install the app for your iOS.
What happened to the DJI Fly app?
DJI Fly removed its app from the Google Play Store. Therefore, you must download it from its official website and then sideload it to your phone.
However, you will have to set permissions on your phone to install the third-party app since it is from an unknown source.
Is there an alternative to the DJI Fly app?
If you want the best alternative to the DJI Fly app, try the following apps:
- Litchi – It is compatible with DJI GO 4, Mavic Pro, Mavic Air, and Mavic 2 series.
- Airmap – Use it to control DJI GO 4.
- UgCS for DJI – It can work to control DJI Spark
- Pix4D – It is compatible with DJI GO 4.
Check compatibility before installing an alternative app to control your DJI drone.
When your DJI Fly is not working, you can try different things to troubleshoot the issue. For example, you can start by updating the app to fix bugs. Alternatively, clear the app cache and data and try again.
If the app does not download, check your internet connection, free your device space, ensure your Android has the latest updates, and restart your device.
If you want an alternative to the DJI Fly app, consider using Litchi, Airmap, UgCS for DJI, and Pix4D to act as your DJI pilot.